orange cake with chocolate & coffee frosting
Today you can not know at what point i'm excited. I'm finally sharing the recipe i've longed to put on the blog. the recipe i devoured as a child and that my grandma still eats passionately; the traditional orange cake with chocolate and coffee frosting!
This cake has been made by ma grandma ever since we were only bits of life. we have loved every bite of it ever since we could eat solids. i mean, damn, this cake is so good i would probably blend it if i could only drink liquids! ok ew maybe not but it's close to that point of loving this cake.
the cake is slightly orange flavoured, deliciously smooth and perfectly texured. The frosting just addss that rich flabour. coffeeand chocolate together to me is unbelievable. you just have to taste it!
without further ado , i know you're excited, let's go!
For the cake:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1 3/4 cups gluten-free all-pupose flour (or wheat flour)
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 egg whites
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Grease two round cake molds of 8" and either lightly flour them or place a parchment paper in it.
- In a bowl with an attached mixer, cream the butter. Slowly add the sugar, bit by bit. Then, add the two egg yolks and beat until the mixture obtains a lemon colour. then add the orange zest.
- In a seperate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients alterning with the orange juice and the water.
- in another bowl, beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. add the other mixture and mix well.
- divide the batter evenly in the two prepared cake pans.
- place in the oven for 30-35 minutes.
For the frosting:
- 2/4 cup infused coffee (liquid)
- 12 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 pound butter
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- In a bowl with an electric whisk attached to it, combine all the ingredients until well incorporated and place in a airtight tupperware in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- To assemble the cake, transfer the cake to your serving plate. then spread frosting on the first cake. then apply the second cake upside down on top and layer it with frosting again. then, apply frosting all around the cake in order to cover it all.
- top the cake with a few orange zests.
how i made them into cupcakes:
- with the excess batter that i had, i seperate them into silicone cipcake holders and baked them half the time. then i applied the frostingon top.