Meringue Cake with Lemon Curd
Hello once again you nice people!
I hope you're enjoying September!
Ok, so today I'm sharing a recipe that I cooked for my birthday and that I was very happy to eat and to share with my family at the celebration. As you might know from previous posts, I am in looove with lemon. it's true. And the thing that I adore most that's baked with lemon is lemon curd. If you agree with me, check out the coco+lemon curd bites, and the lemon+chia muffins.
But anyways, I also adore meringue, so this recipe was just the combination of the two things I love the most, meringue + lemon curd! So, I hope you're excited, because we're making a meringue cake with lemon curd!!
What makes the meringue cake so exceptional is that it's made with almonds and white chocolate. I know I got you drooling now!!
What makes the lemon curd so light-coloured is that it's mixed with coconut whipped cream, that's also delicious, but don't worry, the lemon still tastes strong and summery!
Topped with blueberries, you'll taste to heaven in a bite!
I have another lemon recipe in store for you guys, so let me know in the comments if you would like it! ;D
Also, amazing shoutout to the Australian's Women's Weekly gluten-free cookbook, the cake recipe and idea is from there, go, take their book!
So without further ado, I think i've gotten you waiting for long enough, so let's get into the making this delight!
before doing anything (!!!) : place a metal bowl, a full-fat coconut milk can and your metal whisks (electric) in the fridge for aout 30 minutes - 1 hour!
- lemon zest from 1 lemon
- lime zest from 1 lime
- 1/2 cup of lemon and lime juice
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup ghee or unsalted butter if you tolerate dairy
- 1 - 1 1/2 cup icing (powdered) sugar
- in a saucepan, mix zests, juice, sugar and yolks with a dip until smooth.
- add the ghee and whip constantly at medium heat until the mixture is pretty thick and coats the back of a spoon.
- add powdered sugar and cool.
- refrigerate until cold and a bit firm and creamy
- 1 cup finely sliced almonds
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup organic sugar
- 4 onces, 125g white chocolate, finely grated
- 600 ml thick Belsoy cream
- preheat oven to 325F. Grease a round 9 1/2 inch pan. (or springform for easier removing), then sprinkle with g-f flour all around and shake off excess flour.
- Beat egg whites and 1/4 cup of the sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer until firm peaks form. Then, add the remaining sugar and continue mixing on high speed for 5 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. (it's normal if the mixture doesn't form peaks after adding the remaining sugar)
fold in chocolate and almonds.
- Spread in the prepared pan and bake for 40 minutes. Cool in pan.
Coconut Whipped cream
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk (the one you refrigerated for 30 minutes)
- 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup
- whip your cream with electric mixers (that you refrigerated) for 5-8-10 minutes, until when you take your meters out, the trace of the them doesn't disappear immediately, but stays there.
- then, add maple syrup to taste, until you have what you wanted.
- then, fold half the cream in lemon curd and mix well.
- gently, with a spoon, tap down the meringue and the apply the lemon curd on cake. refrigerate.
- once ready to serve, apply dollops of the rest of the whipped cream and sprinkle with blueberries. enjoy!