Yay for the weekend! Hope you're having a wonderful day and enjoying the beautiful weather.
This recipe is the best when receiving friends over. Prepare a chili bar and add this cornbread to it to add the cherry on top. (My favorite chili: chili con carne )
I feel like I'm always repeating this, but each time I make this recipe, I am ecstatic! You won't even know it's gluten free. And if you don't have a problem with gluten or dairy, easily replace the gluten free flour for whole wheat flour.
The maple syrup is optional, but I prefer a sweet cornbread. If you omit the maple syrup, chili is a must to add some flavour to it.
I followed the Bob's Red Mill's recipe but changed a couple things to make it paleo. This recipe uses cornmeal.
Now let's go on with the recipe!
- 1 cup Medium Grind Cornmeal ( i used Bob's Red Mill)
- 1 cup gluten free flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2-3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup dairy free butter or palm shortening ( use butter if not dairy-free )
- Preheat oven to 425 F
- Sift together all dry ingredients in bowl.
- When mixed, add egg, milk and butter.
- Beat until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Bake in 20-25 minutes.
- Let cool for 5 minutes
- Serve with butter on top or with chili.
Bon appétit les amis!!
Clara a.k.a thepaleokid xoxo